Microfluidizer® Successfully Processes Liposomes
Liposome Drug Delivery Applications
Liposomes, small spherical lipid vesicles with a bi-layered membrane, are widely utilized in pharmaceutical formulations to:
- Encapsulate both hydrophilic and hydrophobic therapeutic agents with high efficiency
- Protect the encapsulated drugs from undesirable effects from external conditions
- Functionalize certain ligands that target specific cells, tissues and organs of interest
- Be coated with inert and biocompatible polymers such as polyethylene glycol (PEG), prolonging the liposome circulation half-life in vivo
- Develop nanoparticle liposomal formulations with the desired composition, size, surface charge and other properties
- Generate next-generation vaccine adjuvants
Liposome drug delivery applications include treatment for fungal and protozoan infections, influenza, Hepatitis A, malignant lymphomatous meningitis, breast cancer, age-related macular degeneration and more. Clinical trials are under way to test the effectiveness of liposomes to deliver drugs used in the treatment of leukemia, soft-tissue sarcoma, ovarian cancer and Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
The Microfluidizer® Processor Solutions for Liposomal Formulation
The Microfluidizer® processor offers an ideal solution for the production of liposomal formulations due to the following advantages:
- Continuous process
- Guaranteed scalability using Microfluidizer® interaction chamber technology
- Optimal temperature control
- Samples are processed at a constant shear rate
- Highest shear rate capability of any homogenizer
The Microfluidizer Equipment Results
Microfluidics engineers helped a biotech research company successfully process liposomes using Microfluidizer® equipment. The average particle size was reduced from 394.8 nm to 132.6 nm after one pass, and from 394.8 nm to 107.7 nm after two passes.
Our experts also helped a pharmaceutical customer develop various formulations of a small molecule API liposome for IV drug delivery in the treatment of cancer. Microfluidizer® technology was very successful in creating several liposomal formulations with the target particle size distributions — on both the lab and production scales.